About Me

heyy...my names kendra. I'm a sophmore @ ric studying to become an Eled. teacher with a concentration in social studies. I run xc and track for RIC and played soccer my freshmen year. I've been with my boyfriend for 5 years & goin strong haha<3 FYI me and katie are cousins :)so there's a little about me...ttyl

Blog Archive

Monday, February 11, 2008

I liked reading this article, it didn't seem as offensive as the previous article by Lisa Delpit. I understood what Delpit was trieng to say, but, i felt as though i was constantly trieng to defend myself while reading it. This document by Peggy McIntosh proved further that "people with power are frequently least aware of -or least willing to acknowledge- its existence." Here McIntosh lists all the daily experiences in which her race is priviledged and only when a person sits and examines these things are they made more aware of there existance. McIntosh also states that "most of our white students in the U.S. think that racism doesn't affect them because they are not people of color, they do not see "whiteness" as a racial identity." I think that last part of the statement that "whiteness was not seen as a racial identity" is another problem that many people of the white race do not recognize. It is one of those things that Johnson says needs to be spoken about, needs to be identified and clearly defined; only then, after it is recognized, can people begin to talk about different racial issues or what it means to be a part of the culture of power.

No comments: